Thursday, November 8, 2012

Jenn of All Trades, Master of None

Mommy Proof # 13: You can do anything you put your mind to, unless you aren't any good at it....

At this point, I have a daughter that wants to be an OB and a surgeon. My youngest daughter wants to be a nurse, teacher, and "fashion girl." My son dreams about walking on the moon. As soon as he gets any money, he buys a toy telescope or a novelty microscope. I'm not sure what my youngest wants to do, but right now it is a cross between a boxer, dancer, or anything to do with a woman's breast. (The right one is his favorite.) I encourage them every step of the way. I rain down praises with every drawing of a new dress that she shows me. I have decorated my son's room with the moon and stars. I patiently taught my then two year old daughter the names of every word she pointed out in my old medical books. If I had their ambition, I may be in a totally different position today.

Every few years, I choose to pursue a different secular goal. My first year at college, I wanted to be a radiologist. Later that year, I decided to major in the recreation and leisure department. I am good at recreation. I am awesome at leisure. Another year, I took three classes for biotechnology. A year later, I was dead set on getting my real estate license. Six months after that, I decided to take a certification course in medical coding and billing. (That is where my two year old got the medical books.) I always excel in the classes, except for that dreaded anatomy class in college. I eventually dropped that class....and obviously any real goals.

I have played around with owning a daycare, but after I had children I realized how messy they can be. I thought about being a nurse, but I hate sickness and suffering in general. (Sickness may also be the reason I decided against being a childcare provider.) I tried to teach myself how to dance, but I dislocated my shoulder due to my lack of rhythm and grace. Don't ask me how. I also have thought about being a doula or midwife, then I experienced natural childbirth in all of its horrific glory. Add lactation consultant, personal trainer, occupational therapist, hair stylist, teacher, substitute teacher, teaching assistant, Avon lady, and census taker to my list. Well, you get the point. I have realized that I am extremely successful at being an underachiever. I take a lackluster approach to school, working out, anything that requires me to put forth effort. I am mediocre on my best day. The truth is that I couldn't think of anything I am really good at doing. So I decided to make a list of ten things:

1. I am a genius at procrastinating and quitting.

2. I am great at producing milk.

3. I potty train like a rock star.

4. I can find a sale anywhere.

5. I can plan a healthy, child-friendly meals that won't make me gag in a matter of minutes.

6. I can grab 4 sleeping kids and find shelter in the tub during a tornado warning in 46.8 seconds...

So, for now, being a mom will have to be good enough. I know I said of list of ten things....GET OVER IT!







1 comment:

  1. I felt as though you were reading a page from my life. My attitude towards many goals are Blah at best.

    ReplyDelete