Tuesday, November 27, 2012

He's too big for that!

Mommy Proof # 15: Nursing a toddler on demand (in public) is offensive!

Have you ever received that look of nostalgia when you settle in to nurse in public? I am sure you have received it at least once. The look that says, "Oh, I have been there." The mother that lovingly rubs her school age child's head as memories take over. The grandmother who smiles knowingly when she sees you discreetly covering up. The woman in the outlet mall who embarrasses her children by catching your eye, smiling brightly while giving a thumbs up, and mouthing "WAY TO GO!" Yes, I have received them all. But the best look of all is the one that goes from nostalgia to sheer disgust once your enormous baby peeps from under the cover. The look of utter repulsion once the giant child jerks the cover off and slides down your lap while milk squirts across the room.

Yes, I am one of those mothers. I nurse a toddler. He is 15 months to be exact. Three months older than a one year old. He could drink cow's milk and no one would take offense, but if I offer him my milk it draw stares, gasps, admonitions. Here are a few of my favorite arguments about nursing a toddler AND nursing in public:

1. "He is going to be a mama's boy." Here is the thing about that. Aren't most sons "mama's boys?" Without a "mama" there would be NO boys.

2. "Is he getting anything?" Keep talking so that he will keep pulling off my breast to see who I am talking to. When milk is squirted in your eye, you will have the answer.

3. "He is old enough to drink 'regular' milk." Uhhhh, my milk is made especially for him. My baby is getting specialized nutrition. I am that awesome.

4. "Where is his cup?" On the floor. Where he threw it. After I offered it to him. When he signed for milk.

5. "You must enjoy that." That usually comes from someone who hasn't nursed or didn't nurse long. Nursing isn't always enjoyable. Nursing a toddler usually comes with some form of acrobatics to get comfortable and fulfill a toddler's constant desire to move.

But my favorite thing that has ever been said is, "When are you going to stop?" My answer, "Ask him."
*Blank stare*

6 comments:

  1. Love it! To be honest I have said for a long time that I want my boobs back after my son is 1 but will I bash another mom or find it offensive? No your choice and your baby gets all the great benefits!

    Apparently it is a crime to try to do the very best with your child and have a close bond :)

    Love the arguments! When are you gonna stop is so annoying. Umm I will when I choose to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Lacretia, I am over it. I was over nursing after my third child, but he is still going strong!

      Delete
  2. My daughter is 15 months as well and she has cut out her daytime nursing mostly so the public thing doesn't happen much anymore. But if she signs for it and won't accept the cup then we go for it! I could care less what anyone says or thinks. I remember some of my husbands' friends asking "how long are you planning on breast feeding?" and the looks on their faces when I said "As long as she wants." They were those, "Oh, well, okay. If that's what you want" looks. Then they went on to talk about how it's perfectly well and good for a "baby" but around, let's say, two ... well that's too old. Well let's see what they have to say when we come to visit next month and we're "still" breast feeding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Heather, I can imagine their faces. They will be just fine!!!!!

      Delete
  3. My usual response to "When are you going to stop?" is, "I have no clue!" :/
    So far my little guy has self-weaned. So we now have our answer. Lol!

    ReplyDelete