Saturday, December 8, 2012

Tag! You're It!

Mommy Proof #16: Live every day like your child is a VIP.

Work. Working out. Appointments. Schedules. Deadlines. Projects. Homework. Work from home. School. Classes. Extracurricular activities. Shopping. Girl's Night. Running errands. Phone calls. Smart phones. Computers. Technology. Social Networking. Text messaging. Facebook. Guilty as charged. We are busy. We have things to do. We have places to go.

I took note as my children played in the yard one day. I watched them run and play with each other as they forgot everything else. Their chores could wait. Dinner would still be warm later. I smiled as my oldest daughter scooped my youngest child up and jogged across the lawn so he could at least pretend to maintain the speed of his older siblings. They ran. They played. They laughed. They pouted when I called them in to wash up for dinner. They had fun. Pure, unadulterated fun.

I, then, made their plates...while talking on the phone with my husband who was five minutes from home. I served their plates...while I laughed at a text I had just received. I sat down at the table as I thought about ideas for my next blog. I looked up from my phone and realized I had missed the first 10 minutes of dinner. I don't know what they were chatting about. I have no idea what was making them giggle. I missed out on a possible memory. I thought back to a half an hour ago as I stood on the porch and watched them play tag. One of them was it and they ran from person to person with joy. They were focused...on fun....on each other...on the moment. I smiled at them as I came back from putting my phone in the other room. For the next 10 or more years, I reminded myself that these moments will soon be gone. Tag! They are IT!

If I had been preoccupied with something else, I would have missed this memory.




During dinner, I missed two phone calls all from a good friend who called to ask what I was doing...


2 comments: