Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I "WUB" him too...

Mommy Proof #23:  Hearing "I love you" the first time from your baby is AMAZING.

This morning, my youngest child came up to me and touched my arm. As I smiled down at him, he mumbled some gibberish that vaguely resembled English. I nodded and grinned back at him, but the response I received was unexpected. Usually, I can just nod off the gibberish by repeating what I thought he said and he is happily content. This was NOT one of those times. When I nodded and dismissed him, I was met with a confused look as he now gripped my arm.

"Mah-mawwww! I WUB Oooh!" ("Ma-ma! I love you!")

It has been a long time since I have heard those first words. It always warms your heart when you realize what has been said, but it was different this time. Every time it is the first time when he does something new....it is also the last. This is the last time I will see the first steps of my child. The last first word. The last time I will hear a giggle for the first time. The last time I will recognize the pitter patter of little feet during the night. The last time I will see that first tooth, bicuspid, molar. I have become oddly nostalgic. I haven't given his first pair of shoes away. I still held on to some of his newborn clothes. Every time I tame his mane, I gather up those wisps of hair and put it in a separate baggie....as if I will somehow be given the opportunity to clone these moments and relive them.

No more first pictures. No more first smiles. His toothless grin is gone and in its replacement were my tears. I switched him to a toddler bed a couple of weeks ago. He is growing up. Too fast. Last Saturday, he discovered snow for the first time. He wasn't impressed. He had his own feelings about the new situation. It was cold. It was wet. He wanted me to hold him and I did. I just want to hold on a little longer. My baby is gone, but my toddler loves me. I know because this morning he told me so for the last first time....:-/

Yeah....Not impressed.

1 comment:

  1. This was such an endearing post, Jenn. I read lots of your posts on BBC on subjects pertaining to childrearing, as you give some great food for thought. I see your blog is just as valuable and enjoyable to read!

    ReplyDelete